- simple method to get the root cause of a problem
- e.g. in brainstorming sessions with a few people
- the tool facilitates digging down beneath the most proximate cause of the problem
- facilitates objective analysis, because it’s in people’s nature to look for someone to assign blame, while in reality 80% of problems are caused by other factors, such as systems, procedures, etc.
5 Why How to
- write the problem and brainstorm the potential reason for the occurrence of this problem
- dig deeper by asking why and why again and developing your tree further to the right, continue until you feel you have reached the root cause of the problem
- verify the brainstormed root causes with data analysis
- focus your improvements efforts only on the issues that have a notable impact on the final result (use Pareto Analysis)
Don’t stop at the surface, look for the root of the problem.
The Tree Diagram is made with XMind .